Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter and Renewal

I can't believe that Easter is here already!  Lent flew by this year.  I feel like I failed to reflect the way I should have.  Spending too much time worrying or doing some other unimportant task instead of studying the Word.  But at the same time I feel like this is the first Easter that Jesus' Passion really hit home for me and took priority over chocolate bunnies and Cadbury eggs.  I do think that the Bible mini-series on the History Channel helped with that.  I have read or heard so many of those stories my entire life--but seeing them come to life is WOW!  The scene where Abraham takes Isaac up to the mountain to sacrifice him had me in a pool of tears.  Think about it.  He literally took him up there knowing he was going to sacrifice him, and poor Isaac didn't have a clue.  When Abraham started tying his hands up and Isaac said, "Why are you doing this Father?"...I lost it.  And poor Sarah was helpless below.  And then everything started clicking.  This was a sign of what was to come with Jesus.  God sacrificed him for us.  But the kicker is unlike Isaac, Jesus knew what was going to happen and did it anyway.  "Even though we were sinners, Christ died for us."  That is the most awesome thing ever!!  And where and how he picks his disciples....amazing.  And Peter.....poor Peter.  I identify with him.  He wants to do the right thing by Christ and still screws up and doesn't even realize it until Jesus turns and looks at him.  The same problems that plagued the people back then, plague us now.....Jealousy and Greed.  So much is going on in our country and world right now--especially during this Holy Week (which I think was crafted by the media)....But, we should see the positive.....The Bible miniseries is being talked about everywhere, and the Catholic Church chose a Pope that encourages helping the poor and putting away materialistic pleasures.  There is something good in every bad situation!  It's a chance for renewal because He makes all things new.  "I have been crucified with Christ.  So that it is no longer I that live but Christ that lives in me.  And the life I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loves me and gave Himself for me."  Galations 2:20 






post signature

0 comments: